[uf-dev] XBRL, XHTML, Microformats and context-aware computing

Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney devi.webmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 11:22:20 PST 2007

Several people have already written how, as a standards organization,
it is inappropriate to write a standard violating another standard,
and how you can write tag soup and your own XML dialect as long as you
don't call it XHTML.

With that out of the way, you seem to be working on reports. Reports
are documents, making them well-suited for XHTML, which is, by design,
a format for documents. I'd be interested in hearing more specific
difficulties or ways XHTML has been insufficient or overly
restrictive.

Tangent about your web site, which I understand you may have nothing to do with:

Most of your pages use frames. None of the framesets are XHTML. Some
of them don't bother with an html element. I have no idea why you
wouldn't bother with a DOCTYPE and html element, but I am going to
guess you use framesets so you don't have to play with your ASP server
get nice clean URLs, which is good goal, but some people think frames
themselves are a bad practice.

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200411/who_framed_the_web_frames_and_usability/
http://universalusability.com/access_by_design/frames/avoid.html

(Not the W3C has given up on them)