[uf-dev] nested @class="value" properties

Derrick Lyndon Pallas derrick at pallas.us
Thu Feb 1 19:10:47 PST 2007

Brian Suda wrote:
> On 2/1/07, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
>> See, I would expect it to bee "foo quux bar", because all three are
>> text nodes of a node that has @class="value".
>
> I would actually expect 'foo quux barfoobar' it would find the first
> value="foo quux bar" and then append the next two values "foo quux
> barfoobar" to the string.
>
> -brian
According to
<http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing#Value_excerpting>,
"Sometimes only part of an element which is the equivalent for a
property should be used for the value of the property. ... For this
purpose, the special class name "value" is introduced to excerpt out the
subset of the element that is the value of the property."

Is "value" itself a property or just a marker? Because if it is a
property in its own right, then it should apply to itself, i.e. it is
recursive. If it is a marker, then I think Brian may be right and the
wording should be changed to indicate this. (In hCard, it appears to be
a property.)

Taking a look at xhtml2vcard.xsl, it just takes the normalization of the
text() nodes. However, the value of the element #ref is clearly "foo
bar" in my original example and that's what I expect the include-pattern
to include. ~D