[uf-dev] problems with testcases

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 01:52:44 PST 2007

☻Mike Samuel wrote:
> 8) unnecessary escaping of ; in content line values.  e.g. description
> in component-vevent-description-value-in-subelements-2.  RFC 2425
> defines a value as ...
I think i found the discrepancy on why description is escaped in the
test suite. According to RFC 2445, which is what hCalendar is basied off
of, Description is of type TEXT. Text is further defined as:

4.3.11 Text

   Value Name: TEXT

Purpose This value type is used to identify values that contain human
   readable text.

   Formal Definition: The character sets supported by this revision of
   iCalendar are UTF-8 and US ASCII thereof. The applicability to other
   character sets is for future work. The value type is defined by the
   following notation.

     text       = *(TSAFE-CHAR / ":" / DQUOTE / ESCAPED-CHAR)
     ; Folded according to description above

     ESCAPED-CHAR = "\\" / "\;" / "\," / "\N" / "\n")
        ; \\ encodes \, \N or \n encodes newline
        ; \; encodes ;, \, encodes ,

   The "TEXT" property values may also contain special characters that
   are used to signify delimiters, such as a COMMA character for lists
   of values or a SEMICOLON character for structured values. In order to
   support the inclusion of these special characters in "TEXT" property
   values, they MUST be escaped with a BACKSLASH character.

So it looks like the escaping of the ';' is the correct behavior when
dealing with RFC 2445.

-brian