[uf-dev] problems with testcases

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Jan 22 10:21:03 PST 2007

Agreed. Document on http://microformats.org/wiki/test-issues

>> > 6) missing : after mailto in component-vevent-attendee-value
>
>> --- ATTENDED is also similar to ORGANIZER, but you are correct MAILTO
>> should be present.
>
> $ egrep -ni 'mailto[^:]' *
> component-vevent-attendee-value.ics:
> 7:ATTENDEE;RSVP=TRUE:MAILTOjsmith at host1.com

Yeah, bug. Also documented.

>> > Also, I think a few things are missing
>> > 1) I see no mention of TZIDs.  This occurs in many tests.  This
>> isn't
>> > a problem for non-repeating events since the date format allows a
>> > timezone offset, but for anything with an RRULE, the event needs to
>> > specify which timezone it repeats in if it might extend past a
>> > daylight savings time transition.
>>
>> --- yes, RRULE is incredible complex, clugy and isn't really been
>> well
>> documented or supported in hCalendar. There are several reasons for
>> this. A) there has been discussion in the ICAL-BASIC to revamp RRULE.
>> B) it isn't always supported well in calendaring applications.
>> Much of
>> the basic markup can also be achived in the RDATE. So in an interest
>> of time, resources, and 80/20 RRULE has not been pressed very hard.
>> And so far no one has complained - so our efforts have been
>> focused on
>> other aspected of microformats. Therefore TZIDs has not been
>> addressed
>> either. Much of the DTSTART/DTEND have been written in ISO format
>> with
>> the timezone offset and they simply converted to UTC and calendar
>> applications then convert that UTC to the local timezone.
>

>> > 2) I don't see any tests covering hcards, geos, or addr being
>> used for
>> > locations or attendees.  Is that not something I should be testing
>> > for?
>>
>> Well, for locations an hCard is great, but it simply becomes a string
>> in the iCal's LOCATION, so it isn't a requirement for hCalendar
>> parsers to be aware of. Same goes for ADR. The GEO's map to the GEO
>> property in iCalendar - so there should be a test for that at some
>> point, but i am not aware of any calendaring app that does anything
>> with that data (i would love to be proven wrong). As for ATTENDEES, i
>> mentioned before about how the support for them has not been fully
>> addressed, so at the moment i don't think tests are useful.
>>
>> Does this make sense? You might not be able to disclose anything, but
>> if you are working in a real-world senario it would help to diagnose
>> some of these issues and help clear-away any "non-issues" and help to
>> focus on where things are broken between your app/mark-up and
>> hcalendar encodings.
>
> I'm not.  I'm just trying to understand hcalendars and saw some
> language in the documentation that confused me and was hoping the
> testcases might shed some light.

Please speak up any time you see something confusing, it will help us
provide better documentation.

>> We want to stay away from theoretical issues, and therefore we
>> probably won't have a test for every single item in the RFC. The
>> tests
>> suite evolves and the format does, so i want to try to avoid "putting
>> the cart before the horse" in some instances.
>
> Fair enough.
>
>> Any thoughts/comments?
>
> On rrule, unless there's a compelling need for a single
> representation, it seems that there's a spectrum.  At one end are
> named holidays with hard to explain rules

I agree that there are different use-cases for rrule, which could use
different markup.

> On timezones, I think trying to embed VTIMEZONEs is a bad idea.  Most
> VTIMEZONEs embedded in ical are incomplete or out of date.  I'd just
> recommend using the Olson name, so <abbr
> title="America/Los_Angeles">PDT</abbr>

I certainly agree that we shouldn't even allow embedded timezones.
I've looked into finding a standard, normative list of timezones
before, but was unable find anything useful. Is there a normative
reference for Olson names (and what they mean)? or is it an informal
list?

thanks,
ryan
--