[uf-dev] problems with testcases

☻Mike Samuel msamuel at google.com
Mon Jan 22 11:45:00 PST 2007

On 1/22/07, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> B) it isn't always supported well in calendaring applications.
> >> Much of
> >> the basic markup can also be achived in the RDATE. So in an interest
> >> of time, resources, and 80/20 RRULE has not been pressed very hard.
> >> And so far no one has complained - so our efforts have been
> >> focused on
> >> other aspected of microformats. Therefore TZIDs has not been
> >> addressed
> >> either. Much of the DTSTART/DTEND have been written in ISO format
> >> with
> >> the timezone offset and they simply converted to UTC and calendar
> >> applications then convert that UTC to the local timezone.

> >> used for
> >>
> >> Well, for locations an hCard is great, but it simply becomes a string
> >> in the iCal's LOCATION, so it isn't a requirement for hCalendar
> >> parsers to be aware of. Same goes for ADR. The GEO's map to the GEO
> >> property in iCalendar - so there should be a test for that at some
> >> point, but i am not aware of any calendaring app that does anything
> >> with that data (i would love to be proven wrong). As for ATTENDEES, i
> >> mentioned before about how the support for them has not been fully
> >> addressed, so at the moment i don't think tests are useful.
> >>
> >> Does this make sense? You might not be able to disclose anything, but
> >> if you are working in a real-world senario it would help to diagnose
> >> some of these issues and help clear-away any "non-issues" and help to
> >> focus on where things are broken between your app/mark-up and
> >> hcalendar encodings.
> >
> > I'm not.  I'm just trying to understand hcalendars and saw some
> > language in the documentation that confused me and was hoping the
> > testcases might shed some light.
>
> Please speak up any time you see something confusing, it will help us
> provide better documentation.
>
> >> We want to stay away from theoretical issues, and therefore we
> >> probably won't have a test for every single item in the RFC. The
> >> tests
> >> suite evolves and the format does, so i want to try to avoid "putting
> >> the cart before the horse" in some instances.
> >
> > Fair enough.
> >
> >> Any thoughts/comments?
> >
> > On rrule, unless there's a compelling need for a single
> > representation, it seems that there's a spectrum.  At one end are
> > named holidays with hard to explain rules
>
> I agree that there are different use-cases for rrule, which could use
> different markup.
>
> > On timezones, I think trying to embed VTIMEZONEs is a bad idea.  Most
> > VTIMEZONEs embedded in ical are incomplete or out of date.  I'd just
> > recommend using the Olson name, so <abbr
> > title="America/Los_Angeles">PDT</abbr>
>
> I certainly agree that we shouldn't even allow embedded timezones.
> I've looked into finding a standard, normative list of timezones
> before, but was unable find anything useful. Is there a normative
> reference for Olson names (and what they mean)? or is it an informal

The cldr project ( http://unicode.org/cldr/repository_access.html )
has an excellent mapping of colloquial names to Olson names, per
locale.  It also has mappings from commonly used IDs to Olson names in
supplemental/supplementalMetadata.xml

The tzinfo database ( http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm ) has
definitions for all the Olson identifiers, and there are compilers
from the tzinfo format to a variety of other formats, including
VTIMEZONE.