[uf-dev] Operator bug: not capturing "adr" without children

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Mar 23 10:43:39 PST 2007

In message <5A375E70-9536-429F-B346-96BE3AA9D532 at technorati.com>, Ryan
King <ryan at technorati.com> writes

>ADR needs to have children (per vCard section 3.2.1), it can't be  just
>a text value.

I've now read that, and can't see anything which mandates this; though I
can see that, logically, there is a need to populate at least one
vcard-adr component.

How do we deal with data (perhaps legacy) which has an undivided address
field?

Again, Wikipedia provides plenty of examples, where a "headquarters"
address (for a business, for example) may contain a full or partial
postal address, or just a city/county or city/country pair:

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco>

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP>

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google>

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Coat_Systems>

Or where the granularity of the "location" or "place" field is
undefined?

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Street_station>

        "Place" ("locale" in the template) is a street

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamstead_railway_station>

        "Place" is a local district

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness_railway_station>

        "Place" is a city

Perhaps we should (on the basis of being strict in what we send, and
generous in what we receive) elect a default field, probably one of:

        street-address

        extended-address

        region

        locality

?

The second of those would my initial choice.

--
Andy Mabbett
                 <http://www.pigsonthewing.org.uk/uFsig/>

                    Welcome to the world's longest week!