[uf-dev] Displaying hidden microformat in Operator (and elsewhere)

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Fri Nov 9 03:40:55 PST 2007

>> I've discovered what I consider a flaw in Operator in that I display
>> all microformats even if they aren't visible on the screen at the same
>> time. This can make pages like this one unwieldy.
>>
>> Originally I considered updating Operator to fix this, but on further
>> investigation, I would like to make the core Microformats code I am
>> putting into Firefox ignore hidden microformats.
>>
>> I'd like to know what people think about this.

If there are hidden microformats in a page wouldn't it be best to at least
make it known that something is there and give the user a choice to look at
it?

Most aggregators and other server-side tools won't see css or javascript
(and because of the extra resources required are unlikely to do so any time
soon) so if someone is using Operator or a future Firefox release to check
content they intend to be seen by non-browser-based tools they might want to
be able to see everything that is marked up.