[uf-dev] JSON serialization of microformats

Jim Wilson wilson.jim.r at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:05:22 PDT 2007

Hi Dimitri,

> While this is indeed clever, it requires branching for the reader of the
> resulting JSON, albeit a very easy one. It seems that if the value can
> be plural, it should be always wrapped into an array.

Personally (and this is just my opinion) I don't like that.  In order
to enforce such a rule, you have to know in advance whether any
particular thing can or cannot be plural - which would seem to be
context specific.

Also, what does that say about when something can be plural but there
are none of them? Should it be an empty array?  Should it be null?
Should the value even be represented as a key in the parent hash?

I'd like to see the JSON representations stay flexible and expect the
consumer to deal with reasonable variability.

> But ultimately, both Mike and I feel that this should
> be agreed upon and documented on the wiki to let developers of JSON
> producers and consumers be on the same page.

Agreed - sounds like a good idea!  Perhaps a discussion page is in order?

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)