[uf-dev] Parsing By Element

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:54:15 PDT 2007

Tantek and I were talking about how we should construct a list of
elements and explain how they are being parsed. For example,

We know that FN becomes "John Doe" and URL becomes http://example.org
but there is very little documentation (atleast in one place) about
how and when these rules are invoked.

I created a parsing page on the wiki (feel free to move it as needed)
http://microformats.org/wiki/parsing

It takes the W3C list of HTML elements and begins to map how and where
to extract the values for various microformats properties.

This is an early braindump, so feel free to re-work major portions of
it. Because several of the elements only exist in the HTML head
element, i have noted them as (valid?) I´m not sure how and when or
why you would add a microformats property to a STYLE element, or even
if some of these elements can take a @class attribute - maybe they
should be kept in the list, but noted in some fashion that they are
not valid for MF usage.

-brian

--
brian suda