[uf-dev] Finalizing jCard

Drew McLellan drew.mclellan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 01:42:56 PDT 2008

On 15/04/2008, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > the discussion about a standardized jCard output format seems to have
> > slept in a bit - so I am here to revive it.
>
> --- my first suggestion is not to call it jCard, but something more
> like JSON output of vCard or JSON to hCard mapping. As Ben said
> earlier, if we start using jCard, then we'll have xCard, aCard,
> pCard... all meaningless words. The same json mappings we make for
> hCard will be effective for hCalendar, hReview, etc. so the
> terminology should reflect this.
>
> >  I think it's somewhat premature to suggest that we're 'pretty much done
> > with' the specs.
>
> --- i am not a JSON expert, so i can't weigh in on specifics, but
> here's what i would suggest to help move things along.
>
> Have a look at the current test suite. It has HTML and .vcf/.ics
> output for the pages.
> http://hg.microformats.org/tests
>
> We should also create a .json output as well. Then we can have a
> better point of discussion around real examples. This will help
> clear-up any outstanding issues and at the same time give various
> developers something to test their own code against.
>
> >  Any attempt to standardise the object model of microformats is going to
> > need their assistance, and they're also amongst the most experienced
> working
> > with parsing. It's important they're give an opportunity to raise their
> own
> > issues before this work gets pushed into finalisation.
>
> --- i think the sample .json output from the tests will really help.
> Without that, it is difficult to discuss exact parsing rules and
> expected behaviours.

Apologies that I'm late to this conversation ... I've been watching the idea
unfold but haven't had a moment to contribute so far.

I'd echo Brian's point about the name, but I'm not going to get hung up on
that.

However, the point about the test suites is crucial. If this is viable and
useful then having the hCard tests in JSON format will both help confirm and
encourage that. I'd just a compact format for the output (no whitespace etc)
so that it becomes simple to perform a basic string comparison to verify
results.

+1 to never reducing single-item arrays. This is something we're changing in
hkit already.

drew.