[uf-dev] doubts intepreting the hListing spec draft

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 06:12:18 PDT 2008

Hi Gabriele,

Thanks for posting about hListing.

First up, the entire wiki page you're working from is due a BIG
update, which I've got pending and which I'll follow through on very
soon. I'm sorry for the delay on that.

On 17 Apr 2008, at 12:53, gabriele renzi wrote:
> The schema does not have reference to item type, which is then
> described later.
> I'd fix the page by myself but I'm not sure if we have to keep the
> item-type (fix schema) or if it's not there anymore (fix summary of
> changes+field details).

So, item type somewhat conflicts with ‘listing action’ and also the
inferred type from item itself (using hCalendar would imply being an
event, for example). My advice right now is to ignore that field, or
just parse <foo class="item"><bar class="type"> as plain text if you
can find evidence of it being used (by way of example, we didn't
publish ‘type’ on Kelkoo as the definition was fuzzy and we didn't
want to accidentally steamroller it into the spec).

> Also, I'm not sure: where a field is described as
> hCard | (fn || email || url || tel)
> how shall I read the or's ?

That's just badly phrased. fn, email, url and tel are all fields of
hcard; every lister should be an hcard (in spec terms, probably ‘must’
but until the draft is updated I'll avoid such firm terms).

Thanks very much for your effort on hListing. If you've got any issues
you find please post to the microformats-new list, or add them to the
hlisting-issues page on the wiki: http://microformats.org/wiki/hlisting-issues

Regards,

Ben