[uf-dev] ADR Multiple instances of children

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 02:05:11 PST 2008

I have been writing some code dealing with the ADR and hCard
microformats and ran into something that i thought was documented, but
i can't seem to find a reference. If we can get a quick consensus,
then i can update the wiki as needed.

Specifically, children properties of an ADR (street-address,
extended-address, etc.) Some references say these can be 0-1 instance,
others say 0-N. The vCard spec is not exactly clear, all it says is:

   The text components are separated by the SEMI-COLON character (ASCII
   decimal 59). Where it makes semantic sense, individual text
   components can include multiple text values (e.g., a "street"
   component with multiple lines) separated by the COMMA character
   (ASCII decimal 44).

So in a vCard a multiple extended-address could be something like:
"Building A,Suite 1"
and in HTML it would be
class="extended-address">Suite 1</span>

Basically, any parser that finds multiple instances of children ADR
properties, should just concatenate them together with a ','

I know we talked about this before, but i can't find a reference. We
do have a test case, but it is only for street-address (we need
formally write what happens for the other terms).

Thanks,
-brian

--
brian suda