[uf-dev] How do we (want to) document parsing?

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 13:26:26 PDT 2008

Parser devs,

I've been carrying on work on speccing value-excerpting, I'm keen that
we set a good example of specifying parsing rules with this, with a
view to requiring a higher standard in future and also going back to
better spec the other patterns and microformats.

To be honest, I'm underqualified for this. Actually, wait, that's not
true, I'm amply qualified but haven't applied any of my knowledge of
representing processes and so forth in the real world. Anyway,
digression.

I have, for better, worse or more likely embarrassment, put together a
shoddy flow chart of how parsing of the value-excerption-pattern could
work, factoring in the open issue of parsing @titles from empty
elements (I'm working on the issues one at a time).

We don't have uploading enabled on the wiki, so it's here: -ward.co.uk/
microformats/value-excerption-pattern/ValueExcerptionParseFlowChart.png

My question is simple, in creating it I came across one open issue
with the parsing flow, so it's been useful to do, but I need to know
is it actually useful documentation  in itself? Would you refer to
something diagrammatic when implementing a parser? Or is there some
other, better (perhaps more Wiki compatible) means of representing
parsing rules and method branching that we should adopt? Would pseudo-
code be sufficient?

I know test cases are also a big thing, and I'll produce some of those
as well as I work through the issue log.

Thanks,

Ben