[uf-dev] How do we (want to) document parsing?

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 01:21:08 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> http://ben-ward.co.uk/microformats/value-excerption-pattern/ValueExcerptionParseFlowChart.png

--- i had a look at the flow chart and found a few things that i think
should be fixed and a few that i disagree with.

(maybe we should number these nodes so it is easier to reference?)

1) I don't think values should be concatenated with a unicode char
0020 (a space). If there was intention to add white-space then those
should be part of the value. We should not introduce additional
information that was not explicitly marked-up.

2) If the value contains no inner-text, then use the @title. I think
this was a proposal, but until we get more feedback it probably should
not be part of our paring rules. What would be the semantics in that?
I know this is an attempt at a worker-a-round, but i don't think it
should be included in these parsing rules until we discuss it further.
TIDY still has bugs (or maybe it is a feature) with empty nodes.

Also, i don´t know if this chart can handle or should handle nested
values? did we make a decision that nested value properties were to be
ignored?

Great work Ben, this is much easier for people to understand than a
series of bullet points.

Thanks,
-brian

--