[uf-dev] Using class for non-human data

Guillaume Lebleu guillaume at lebleu.org
Mon Jun 23 14:09:51 PDT 2008

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Of course the other approach is to say "to hell with validity" and
> embrace RDFa's "content" attribute, which can be introduced in a very
> easy and straight-forward manner without using the rest of RDFa
Having followed the discussions on this matter for some time, it seems
to me that we are indeed reaching a limit here, in terms of keeping both
compliant with XHTML semantics and adhering to a (unwritten?) principle
that microformats should not influence how the human-readable content is
written in the first place.

For those implementations not willing to say "to hell with validity",
could they get away with a machine-readable content for dates that gets
formatted in a human friendly way in JavaScript for display to humans?

For instance, the HTML would be <span class="dstart
date">2005-10-10T10:10:10-0100</span>, but by way of a "data pretty
printer" (something like http://ejohn.org/blog/javascript-pretty-date/),
it would be displayed as "10:10am on October 10th 2005".

Is this a heresy? What do you think?

Guillaume