[uf-dev] Preventing false positives

gabriele renzi rff.rff at gmail.com
Sat May 3 09:26:21 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Dan Brickley <danbri at danbri.org> wrote:

>  Is 'singular property' accepted Microformat-community terminology? (or just
> an obvious/sensible phrase). Is there any machine-readable representation of
> which microformat properties are singular?

sorry to hijack the thread, but on the same line: anybody thought of a
simple/generic machine readable description of microformats ?
A simple mix of CSS/xpath/regex, for example

hcard :        .vcard, *
             #creates a namespace many allowed
  full_name: .vcard .fn/text(),  1
        #add full name to this namespace, exactly one
  email:        a.email/href or area.email/href or .email/text(), ?
#add email to this ns, checking various choices, zero or one

I'm writing a generic parser and It basically has this kind of
structure (i.e. fn = getRequired(root, '.fn', 'text()'), is there a
clear problem with this that I'm not seeing?

It would be a small improvement on the semiformal descriptions on the
wiki, where informations are a bit scattered around, for example
there is an hcard test for when .email is to be taken from the text
value of a node, but I could not find it explained on the hcard
parsing page, and it seem that this happened to other people[1].

Please excuse me if I sound dumb and talk about already discussed
things, but I'm still new to uFs.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/hcard2rdf.xsl seems to miss it, for one