[uf-dev] SEO and abbr

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed May 14 07:00:35 PDT 2008

2008/5/14, Sarven Capadisli <csarven at gmail.com>:
> Here is one example:
>  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=microformats+introduction
>
>  Look for "sarven". Shows description as:
>  "24 Jan 2008 ... An introduction to microformats: what they are, why
>  we need them and briefly how to use them."
>
>  It *appears* to be that this happens when the description is less then
>  150 characters and they fill in the available space with the timestamp
>  if and only if a new sentence doesn't fit.

--- thanks for the links and analysis. I agree, the description is
coming from the <meta> element and the date before that is either the
publication or date crawled. This doesn't seem to be in any way
connected to the <abbr> element that Lee Jordan is finding.

Maybe we are all just slightly confused and talking about different
things and/or Lee Jordan is connecting that displayed date with a date
in the HTML, or he has actually finding an issue.

Until we can find an example of this behaviour in the wild that is
testable, (all other examples are counter to this) i do not believe
this issue exists.

thanks,
-brian

--