[uf-dev] The correct format of a ISO date

Glenn Jones glenn.jones at madgex.com
Sun May 25 09:46:25 PDT 2008

I think I now have a handle on this date stuff. Thanks for everyone's
comments. I have to say that the documentation clarity for using dates
and times in Microformats is not good at the moment. Pointing people at
ISO 8601 is not a good idea.

Toby's point about specifying a the profile for each usage in the wiki
is important. Maybe all the language on the wiki should be about the
profiles. Also changing it over to examples and use cases rather than
point people at dry specs?

There are a couple of smaller points I still outstanding like
Specifying RFC 3339 plus 'T' and 'Z' MUST be caps has been suggested in
the past, but then it's not RFC 3339

So here my new take

http://www.ufxtract.com/testsuite/documentation/iso-date.htm
New test pages
http://www.ufxtract.com/testsuite/hcard/hcard15.htm
http://www.ufxtract.com/testsuite/hcard/hcard16.htm

W3C Note datetime profile - valid structures
2007
2007-05
2007-05-01T11:30
2007-05-01T11:30Z
2007-05-01T11:30:00Z
2007-05-01T11:30+08:00
2007-05-01T11:30:00+08:00
2007-05-01T11:30:00.0135

RFC 3339 profile - valid structures
2007
2007-05
2007-05-01T11:30
2007-05-01T11:30Z
2007-05-01T11:30:00Z
2007-05-01T11:30+08:00
2007-05-01T11:30:00+08:00
2007-05-01T11:30:00.0135
200801
20080121
20070501T1130
20070501T113015
20070501T113015Z
20070501t113025z
2007-05-01T113025
20070501T11:30:25

Valid ISO 8601 date time that SHOULD NOT be used in Microformats
070501
07-05-01
20070501 1130
20070501 113015Z