[microformats-discuss] Visible metadata

Jeff Lindsay progrium at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 01:46:58 PDT 2005

Robert,

I don't believe what he meant was to belittle your opinion, but to
remind you of a basic collective goal with microformats: simply
provide a semantic markup to solve common problems or represent common
datatypes. Specifying a format for the value that the markup describes
should be avoided. It's "forcing people" to use the markup in a
particular way that's out of the scope of what microformats are trying
to accomplish.

Does that sound right?

On 7/25/05, Robert Bachmann <rbach at rbach.priv.at> wrote:
> Ryan King wrote:

> >> I think every date/time on the web should be expressed using
> >> <abbr title="YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM">...</abbr>.
> >

> > I would agree, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. :)
> >
> > Remember, we're not telling anyone what they should do- we're just
> > trying to provide tools for them to accomplish their goals (and
> > semantic markup is a meaningful goal for many).
> >

> Just for clarification.
> I was _not_ telling anyone what he/she should do, I solely expressed my
> opinion. An opinion which grounds on the possible benefits outlined
> below in my original post.
>
> Robert
> --
> Robert Bachmann <rbach at rbach.priv.at> (OpenPGP KeyID: 0x4A5CCF10)