[microformats-discuss] xFolk (RC1) and Topic Maps

Bud Gibson bud at thecommunityengine.com
Thu Aug 11 07:10:15 PDT 2005

Robert et al., count on me moving forward with experimental support
for the interpretation of embedded hCard in xFolk (RC2).  The date
issue is still open per the conversation.  If the semantics of
hReview work for you, it is still an option.

There are a couple of other experimental elements coming in RC2 that
have arisen as implementation issues, one for a person doing a
massive scale site.

I respond below with details justifying my views on hCard.

On Aug 11, 2005, at 7:38, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> Thus since this information is already available in current usage,
> it is
> actually *undesirable* to grow xfolk to represent person as well.
> In fact,
> that violates the modularity principle.

If you say to people they can embed an hcard, that's not violating
the modularity principle.  I would see this working the same way
reltag works for tags in xFolk.  hReview uses hCard in a way that
also seems modular.

Tantek, some of your inferences seem to rely on the notion that a
page has one author.  That's just not always the case, at all.

By embedding the hCard, you make authorship of a particular snippet
explicit.  There is nothing wrong with being explicit.

As for dates, Tantek, the question is whether you can nail this down
sufficiently to provide a concrete implementation that responds to
all the use cases.  My vote is that you can nail it down, but you
have a more encyclopaedic understanding.

Bud