[microformats-discuss] Weblog entries and forum posts

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Aug 12 20:11:45 PDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 4:45 PM, Michal Migurski wrote:
>>> This same idea came up in #microformats the other day, with no less
>>> than three people having independently invented it.  Given that you
>>> guys are two more, this is about as unambiguous as a zeitgeist can
>>> get: it's a great idea.
>>
>> I would be one of those 'independent inventors'. :D
>>
>> Basically, what I want is a microformat for blogs. I think there's
>> enough similarity among blog markup to warrant trying to develop a
>> format.
>
> Isn't RSS already a microformat for blogs?

I depends.

You see, I see RSS as merely an envelope format (a way to deliver the
data) and I'd like a microformat to envelope-agnostic (as all
microformats are).

> It's not XHTML, but it seems to have been developed specifically
> for communicating discrete updates on a website, and covers the
> three primary characteristics of a blog post: title, permanent
> link, content.

Right and that's why my plan for microformating my blog is to re-use
the atom semantics. I don't want to get into an RSS vs. Atom debate
here, we'll let the marketplace decide that one.

Also, I have a bias towards XHTML- I think it works and has wide
support.

I'd also just like to try this to see how well it works.

> The one missing piece I can think of is the idea of a standard
> syntax for "in-reply-to".

There's actually an rss namespace/extension for this. Once again,
this is not the time/place to debate the value of namespaces (see
recent blog posts on the tower of babel problem).

-ryan