[microformats-discuss] Re: Blog post format challenge - content vs summary

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sat Aug 13 21:13:53 PDT 2005

On Aug 13, 2005, at 7:58 PM, Bud Gibson wrote:

> boy, stay away from the list for a few days, and look what happens.

Yeah, list actively seems to be rather bursty lately.

> When I read this, I remember that atom took something like 2.5
> years to complete and that there are still unresolved issues.

Right. I don't propose to solve all issues at once.

Also, we can leverage those 2.5 years of work by just borrowing their
results.

> David's original idea seemed pretty simple to me, like he was
> solving a specific problem, multiple blog posts on an html page
> that he wanted to sort out.
>
> I've tried to keep xFolk simple because I think the usefulness of
> microformats is inversely proportional to their complexity.

Granted.

> Probably, the only extensions I would consider at this stage would
> be to say that a microformat embedded in an xFolk entry can be
> interpreted as applying to that entry in a specific way (although
> Tantek seems to be debating that, and I will come back to it
> tomorrow).
>
> At any rate, proceed ahead as you see fit.  If you start to get
> mired in complexity, think about what it is you really want to
> achieve and cut back.

Indeed a blog microformat could get rather complex rather quickly.
However, I think a good deal of the problems have been solved
elsewhere (both in semantic xhtml and rss/atom), so its more a matter
of finding a way to tie it all together in a cohesive way.

But feel free to call to call us out if we go off the deep end. :D

-ryan