[microformats-discuss] Re: intro

Edward Summers ehs at pobox.com
Sun Aug 14 12:39:08 PDT 2005

> If people are not publishing a certain kind of information on the
> web yet,
> then IMHO it is premature to develop a microformat for it.
>
> This isn't a discouragement of your efforts.  I am merely trying to
> make
> sure you're using the proper motivations.

Yes I understand (and relish) the "pave the cow-paths" philosophy,
and it's why I think COinS might have some potential as a
microformat. OpenURLs are widely used by publishers and libraries,
and library software companies around the world. COinS is just a way
to encode OpenURLs in HTML to enable third party use.

Just a couple examples of OpenURL usage:

- Crossref is an independent membership organization of 1466
publishers, and is the official DOI registrar. They have a OpenURL
resolver: http://www.crossref.org/openurl_info.html
- ExLibris' SFX the most popular commercial link resolver used in
libraries around the world : http://www.exlibrisgroup.com/sfx.htm
- CUFTS a popular opensource OpenURL resolver developed at Simon
Fraser University http://cufts.lib.sfu.ca/

And COinS:

- OpenInformatics Firefox Extension for extracting COinS http://
www.openly.com/openurlref/
- HubMed alternate interface to the PubMed Medical Database: http://
www.hubmed.org/ (do a search, view source, and search for z39.88.
- CiteUlike citation management software http://www.citeulike.org/

The hope is that we can leverage this work as a microformat to spread
usage outside of the library world into the blogosphere and beyond.
If anyone thinks this might have some potential I'll add some stuff
to the wiki to get started.

//Ed