[microformats-discuss] Blog Post Microformat for Behavior

Geoffrey Glass geof at geof.net
Sun Aug 14 13:11:36 PDT 2005

I want to clear up some misunderstandings about the role of a blog
microformat.  Others may have different needs, but this is not an
attempt to replace Atom or RSS.  First, as Andreas has pointed out,
RSS/Atom are not archive formats, and I think we do need metadata in our
archives.

However, for me that is not the immediate concern.  In my work, and in
David's, the Microformat allows us to add behavior to a web page in the
browser.  I recommend trying David's Greasemonkey script [1,2], because
it makes this potential very clear:  it detects blog posts on a page,
and to each post adds an icon with a menu of operations, such as
bookmarking in del.icio.us, reblogging, etc. (David, you might consider
adding your script to the wiki page.)  Syndication formats do not help
in this scenario.

My code [3] adds annotation capability to a web site (by which I mean
the ability to highlight passages of text and add margin notes).
However, each web application needs to be modified in order to support
this annotation.  With a blog format standard, it would become possible
to put this logic in a browser extension or Greasemonkey script.  Then
annotation could work for all sites supporting the standard.  (Existing
annotation extensions, ActiveX controls, etc. cannot achieve this
because they can only annotate at the level of the page, not at the
level of individual forum or blog posts.)

I think the problem here may be that until now my impression is that
microformats have been used chiefly to enhance the web as *data* (e.g.,
by adding metadata useful for search engines and crawlers), not the web
as *application*.

Geof

[1] http://www.blogmatrix.com/include/microformat-find.user.js
[2] http://april291.blogmatrix.org/ (sample bog content for [1])