[microformats-discuss] Microformat to denote the date of the last page modfication

Robert Bachmann rbach at rbach.priv.at
Mon Aug 15 12:15:15 PDT 2005

I'd like to discuss a problem I already pointed out in [1].
(Some paragraphs are re-used from [1])

Some web pages (for example my homepage and most wiki pages)
provide the date of the last edit:

 Last modified: Sunday, July 24 2005

This information could be made machine-readable:

 Last modified:
 <abbr class="page-last-modified" title="2005-07-24">Sunday, July 24
2005</abbr>

Somebody might think <abbr class="page-last-modified"> is redundant
because of the HTTP Last-Modified header.
I don't think so because the HTTP Last-Modified header describes when
_the file_ was last modified, <abbr class="page-last-modified">
describes when the last edit of _the page content_ happened.

<abbr class="page-last-modified" title="YYYY-MM-DD">...</abbr> could be
used to denote when the last modification of a page happened.

<abbr class="last-modified" title="YYYY-MM-DD">...</abbr> could be used
to denote when the last modification of a specific item (e.g: a forum
post) on a page happened.

Robert

[1]
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2005-July/000444.html