[microformats-discuss] Blog post format thoughts on xentry: entrylink, id, updated

Geoffrey Glass geof at geof.net
Mon Aug 15 21:12:55 PDT 2005

I am updating my annotation code using the class names proposed by David
Janes.  I want to see a standard more than particular class names.  The
fierce debate about even the need for a blog microformat suggests that
following Atom's lead is the quickest route to some kind of agreement.

I'll repeat David's six class name suggestions:

  xentry
    entrylink
    author
    published
    title
    content

The only name that causes my trouble is "entrylink", as all the others
match Atom element names.  The obvious alternative is "link", which does
match the Atom element name but may be more likely to conflict with
existing classes.

Before I continue, I don't think that difficulty agreeing on additional
fields should prevent or delay agreement on these core six.  Even if we
use Atom as a precedent, we should not commit to defining microformat
versions of all aspects of that format.

That said, there are two other required elements in Atom entries:  id
and updated [1].  Updated should perhaps match current talk about a
last-updated microformat.  Id is more difficult:  it is an IRI and may
not be dereferenceable.  The spec describes it as "a permanent,
universally unique identifier for an entry or feed" [2].  If the URL of
a post changes, the ID will not.  My suspicion is that the majority of
Atom feeds simply use the URL, but I could be mistaken (TextPattern's
default installation uses a hash code).

The problem is that an href element is not appropriate for something
that can't be dereferenced.  A title would show gobbledygook to the
user, and text would need to be hidden with CSS.  It also goes against
Tantek's principle that metadata should be visible.  In cases where the
id is the URL, there's no problem:

<a class="entrylink id"
href="http://www.geof.net/blog/2005/08/15/slug>Slug!</a>

For those with other forms of id, this is the least bad option I can
think of:

<code class="id">tag:geof.net,2005-08-15:blog/slug</code>

The "summary" element might also be useful, but I wouldn't consider it a
necessity.

[1]
http://atompub.org/2005/07/11/draft-ietf-atompub-format-10.html#rfc.section.4.1.2
[2]