[microformats-discuss] Blog post format thoughts on xentry: entrylink, id, updated

Geoffrey Glass geof at geof.net
Tue Aug 16 11:34:39 PDT 2005

I am more concerned with the set of fields in the format than with their
names.  Actual blogs provide one source of fields;  Atom and RSS
another.  There are cleary different opinions about which precedent
matters more.  I am of the opinion that leveraging Atom (and its names)
is a good idea.  In this sense, the question is not whether the cart is
before the horse, but which is the horse.  However, this doesn't address
the more important problem of which fields to include.

I think David's six fields (xentry, title, entrylink, author, content,
published) are an obvious core set.  Atom's precedent suggests at least
two more, id and updated.  Tantek is right that the best way to proceed
is to look at actual blogs.

I do notice that in Atom "updated" is required, but "published" is
optional.  In David's examples on the wiki, no format lists more than
one date;  without knowing the blogging systems, I can't say whether the
date is truly a post date or an update date.  I use TextPattern, which
only stores the post date but allows the author to update it.  I'm
inclined to think the update date is more important.

Geof