[microformats-discuss] funness

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 16 12:08:13 PDT 2005

On 8/16/05 11:50 AM, "Lucas Gonze" <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/16/05, Jeff Lindsay <progrium at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's the most fun since HTML. :P
>
> Pretty different in a way, because there are two independent
> topologies for structuring data -- class names and HTML elements.
> *Plus* you have the whole issue of presentational CSS happening
> concurrent with the XML structure and microformat-related class
> structures.

Yes, this is one of the "quieter" advantage points of microformats that
folks don't quite pick up on until they have either played with microformats
a bunch, or are web designers, and have internalized the greater
power/flexibility of class names over element names.

> One thing I'm finding as I go along is that a validator would be
> intensely useful, because you can (and have to) get pretty creative,
> and it's hard to be sure that the results are still parseable.

Totally agreed Lucas.  Validators for all the microformats have been on my
internal roadmap since day one.

As Brian said, he's got the beginnings of an hCard validator built into the
X2V converter, which, IMHO, is the best place for it, to help encourage new
content to be as valid as possible.

And speaking of new hCard content, I'll have an fun announcement about that
in a little bit.

Thanks,

Tantek