[microformats-discuss] re: Microformat for timestamp of updated content

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Aug 19 08:23:32 PDT 2005

On Aug 19, 2005, at 3:23 AM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:

> Just out of curiosity -- in places where I'm seeing <abbr
> title="FORMAL-VALUE">INFORMAL-VALUE</abbr>, would we also accept/
> generate using the <span> or some other HTML element. I.e. I'm
> wondering why <abbr> is always being used when "title" is available
> on all HTML elements [1].
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html#coreattrs

The short answer is that <abbr> has the right semantics.

The long answer is one way to view the formal-value/informal-value
relationship is that the informal-value is (often) and abbreviated
version of the formal value. Of course, if you really don't want to
use an <abbr>, you can use a span like this:

Of course, that's suboptimal, because its not the most human readable
of formats.

-ryan