[microformats-discuss] Picoformats

Robert Bachmann rbach at rbach.priv.at
Wed Aug 24 07:18:54 PDT 2005

Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
> Ok, I admit, I am inventing catchy new words here.
> [...]
> These additional semantics should follow the spirit of the
> microformats, but not have the burden of "standardization", because
> they are application or vendor-specific. They are picoformats.

The word "microformat" seems confusing to me. Why?
Micro means 10^-6, therefore when I hear Micorformat I think
of a very small format.
But Microformats are actualy subformats. Formats which "live"
inside of a "host" format - XHTML or XML.
For example relLicense can be called "micro" but what about hCard - this
isn't a small format.

When you talk about "picoformats" you're talking
about site/application/vendor-specific sort-of-microformats and not
about very, very small formats.

So why don't use some more suitable word to describe this?

My spontaneous suggestions (not to be taken too serious):

 - SubFormat
 - ASSF (Application specific sub-format)

People definitly like acronymous which sound kind of dirty when you drop
a letter ;-)

Robert
--
Robert Bachmann <rbach at rbach.priv.at> (OpenPGP KeyID: 0x4A5CCF10)