[microformats-discuss] Microformat to denote the date of the last page modfication

Robert Bachmann rbach at rbach.priv.at
Fri Aug 26 06:19:52 PDT 2005

I wrote:
> I'd like to discuss a problem I already pointed out in [1].
>
> Some web pages (for example my homepage and most wiki pages)
> provide the date of the last edit:

>  Last modified: Sunday, July 24 2005
>
> This information could be made machine-readable:

>  Last modified:
>  <abbr class="page-last-modified" title="2005-07-24">Sunday, July 24
> 2005</abbr>

If there aren't any objections against having a “(page-)last-modified”
microformat, I going to start extensive background research next week.

I think there is still need for discussion which class name should be
used (“page-last-modified” vs. “last-modified”) but in my opinion this
can be also discussed later.

My problem: Which title should I use for the wiki pages?

1. “page-last-modified-examples” and
   “page-last-modified-brainstorming”
2. “(page-)last-modified-examples” and
   “(page-)last-modified-brainstorming”
3. “last-modified-examples” and
   “last-modified-brainstorming”
4.  (Any other suggestions?)

I think I'll have a look on popular software for content
management/publishing (wiki software, blog software, web forum software,
etc.) and I'll have a look on some popular Websites.

Has anybody suggestions on what information should be provided
with real-world examples?

Here is what I'm thinking of:

 == [http://url.tld Sitename] ==

 * How is the date displayed in <body>:
     Citing the date from a random page of this site.

 * Is the date of the page creation also displayed in <body>?

 * Where:
     Top or bottom of the page
     Element name (and its class and id)
     Parent element name (and its class and id)

 * Date in <meta>:
     Is the date represented in <meta>?
     How? e.g: “<meta name="date" ...”,“<meta name="DC.Date" ...”

 * Date in HTTP Header:
     Is a Last-Modified Header sent by the server?
     If yes, is it equal to the date displayed in the browser window?

Is it okay to include examples from popular non-english sites if a
translation of the cited text is provided?

Robert
--
Robert Bachmann <rbach at rbach.priv.at> (OpenPGP KeyID: 0x4A5CCF10)