[microformats-discuss] hOffer

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sat Aug 27 22:12:12 PDT 2005

On Aug 27, 2005, at 9:39 PM, Emiliano Martinez Luque wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi Emiliano-

> I´m new to the list please excuse my english (It´s not my first
> language and my english grammar and spelling tend to die when I´m
> tired and it´s a little late here).
> I welcome this proposal, it´s one of the reasons I joined the list.
> I agree that commerce is becoming decentralized and we are also seing
> small independent stores using blogging tools and tinkering CMS
> systems to offer their wares on the net (for example:
> http://www.questionablecontent.net/merch.php ). As payment systems
> evolve and internet access spreads worldwide we could expect this
> trend to continue since it is a cost effective way for small stores to
> participate in the global marketplace. The benefits of having a
> microformat for representing commercial offers are clear for matching
> sellers to buyers as well as for all other of behaviours we have come
> to expect from the web (recommendations, commercial products reviews,
> wishlists, etc.).

yes, yes.

> I would first like to suggest that an optional photo should be
> included in the proposal. And would also like to point out that some
> currency specification should be included too, since '$89' could
> represent 89 US Dollars, 89 Canadian Dollars, 89 Argentinian Pesos,
> etc. If we want the data to be machine processable this ambiguity
> should be resolved.

There are definitely great issues that will need to be raised at some
point.

But, for now, I think we need to try and document how people
currently *actually do listings* on the web. There's a lot of stuff
to look at and collect.

As a sidenote, do we have any wikipages for this yet?

Let's take a look at current practice first (I'm sure people are
posting photos and currency, right?). And feel free to add this stuff
to a brainstorming page, once we get to that point.

As always, http://microformats.org/wiki/process is our guide here
(and speak up of that document is unclear anywhere- I seriously wrote
it in about 10 minutes).

-ryan