[microformats-discuss] hOffer

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 31 20:36:12 PDT 2005

On 8/31/05 6:05 PM, "Emiliano Martinez Luque" <martinezluque at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Trevor and I have collected a nice set of samples of current practices.

Yes indeed!

Your collection of real world examples of "offers" and "listings" is *very*
impressive.  Well done.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/listing-examples

> How do
> we move on? Help and guidance from the more experienced microformat community
> members (I'm just a server side scripter) would be appreciated for the next
> steps.

You've done a lot of the hard work in identifying the current patterns of
content exist out there, as well as current attempts at formats.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/listing-formats

The next step is to start a listing-brainstorming page wherein you start to
do some analysis of the research you've done, and document some your
analyses.

First among these will be to document the "80/20" of the properties/fields
that current examples use.

That is, given the examples you've researched, what fields/properties do 80%
(approximately) of the examples use or represent?  What fields/properties do
the "majority" of the examples use?  Consider giving more "weight" to the
implied schemas of sites that have more examples.

This kind of analysis should be fairly straightforward.

The next step, the art of taking that analysis and coming up with a proposed
schema, is a bit more challenging and can often use the experience/expertise
of someone who has done at least some format design.  There are several such
folks here, so once you have gotten the "listing-brainstorming" document to
that point, ask again on this list, and hopefully one or more folks will
help out.

Thanks, and once again, well done with your research.  I look forward to the
results of your analysis.

Tantek