[uf-discuss] Non-HTTP/HTML microformats

Luke Kanies luke at madstop.com
Thu Dec 1 08:24:05 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Kevin Marks wrote:

> Do have a look at the discussions on serialiasation and XOXO over REST
> we've had here.

Okay.

> I use XOXO for internal interprocess communication, because it gives me
> an unambiguous serialisation of native list and dictionary structures
> which I can move between languages, and view in a browser for debugging
> or intermediate visualisation
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/xoxo

That's certainly an interesting idea -- cross-language serialization.  I'm
currently just using Ruby's Marshalling for all IPC, but I'm hoping to
convert to something akin to microformats for most or all of it.  So it
seems that XOXO could be used for those cases that I can't reduce to
microformats.

> Also the discussion Erniw started about flagging types for
> serialization:
>
> http://www.opendarwin.org/~drernie/C395201355/E20051003175427/index.html

So this would be useful to explain to other people how to convert from what
they have to something that communicates over XOXO with what I'm doing,
then.

--
    SCSI is *not* magic. There are fundamental technical reasons
    why it is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain