[uf-discuss] The need for a Trackback microformat?

Andreas Haugstrup solitude at solitude.dk
Thu Dec 1 09:45:26 PST 2005

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:38:34 +0100, Chris Messina
<chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. Sounds like a case for <blockquote cite="%url%"> or <cite>....

I'm using rel="cite" for references (with a profile) rather the <cite><a>
compound. This is so I can use rev="cite" for a list of trackbacks
recieved.

> However, it would be interesting to do something like <a href="%url%"
> rel="trackback">xyz</a>...

rel="trackback" is being used in the wild to designate a trackback url for
a document, not for a list of trackbacks recieved.

> I didn't realize that the <cite> tag is basically worthless when it
> comes to inline citations to an external source... does this mean that
> one should always use blockquote and just style it to be inline?

Use <q> for inline quotes?

- Andreas