[uf-discuss] The need for a Trackback microformat?

Andreas Haugstrup solitude at solitude.dk
Fri Dec 2 09:45:37 PST 2005

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 18:36:33 +0100, Ryan Cannon <ryan at ryancannon.com>
wrote:

> This is interesting because the description really depends on audience.
> I agree with you: perhaps better language for rel-enclosure should be
> "By adding rel='enclosure' to a hyperlink, a page indicates that the
> destination of that hyperlink is not meant to be viewed by the client
> browser." However, this implies a more technical understanding of HTTP
> than the average person (or amateur web developer) has. For those
> people, "viewing" and "downloading" a file are very different. While the
> language should change, perhaps some language somewhere should reflect
> this difference in audience.

My issue with the language is secondary. The enclosure is an attachment to
the document and the wording should reflect that. Staying to the e-mail
metaphor it could be "By adding rel='enclosure' to a hyperlink, a page
indicates that the destination of that hyperlink is an attachment to the
current page".

- Andreas