[uf-discuss] The need for a Trackback microformat?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Fri Dec 2 10:56:40 PST 2005

On Dec 2, 2005, at 3:21 AM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:39:54 +0100, Ryan King <ryan at technorati.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Now that hAtom is as far as it is I need to ditch key parts of my
>>> example and convert to hAtom which is more thorough (albeit
>>> missing parts I use internally like rel="enclosure" and rel="cite").
>>
>> Though http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-enclosure doesn't have a
>> profile URI, there's no need to replicate that into hAtom, you can
>> just use rel-enclosure.
>
> I've been using rel="enclosure" longer than the rel-enclosure
> document has been around, and that's why it's in my example. I use
> it to generate (Yahoo Media) enclosures in my RSS feed. And along
> with rel="cite" I use it to generate a list of enclosures and
> citations on my archive pages (e.g. http://www.solitude.dk/archives/
> 2005_11.php ).
>
> With that said rel-enclosure doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It
> says "relEnclosure is one of several microformats. By adding
> rel="enclosure" to a hyperlink, a page indicates that the
> destination of that hyperlink is intended to be downloaded and
> cached."

Perhaps the language isn't entirely clear here. I think Kevin's
intention was along the lines of "the destination is meant to be
downloaded can cached by the useragent." Kevin?

> *Any* link indicates that the destination may be downloaded and
> cached - that's the whole point of making a link. If it's not meant
> to be downloaded there wouldn't be a link, and if it wasn't meant
> to be cached the HTTP header would tell me so (and my browser would
> handle it without me caring).
>
> Enclosures have a different meaning. They are best compared to
> attachments in e-mail. The enclosure is a part of the current
> document and document+enclosure(s) should be seen as a whole. This
> has great value when talking about blog posts (and hAtom) because
> attachments are usually connected to a part of the page (a single
> blog entry).
>
> I don't care where I point my profiles to, but rel-enclosure isn't
> what I mean when I use rel="enclosure".

I don't think your relEnclosure and http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-
enclosure are that different, they're just explained differently.
Also, I think they're close enough to be resolved. You want to work
on that?

-ryan
--
Ryan King