[uf-discuss] RFC: Proposal for general purpose microformat

Abramo Bagnara abramobagnara at tin.it
Fri Dec 2 13:18:10 PST 2005

Scott Reynen ha scritto:
> Abramo Bagnara wrote:
>
>> I feel a subtle hostility wrt this improvement attempt, I'm wrong?
>

> I suspect many here are tired of fending off attempt after attempt at
> generalization, as such attempts tend to come at a cost of simplicity
> (and therefor adoption).

About simplicity I guess that a rather reliable way to measure it is to
compare stylesheet needed for data extraction.

> Less than a month ago [1], Tantek wrote:
>
>>   microformats are not:
>>     * infinitely extensible and open-ended
>>     * a panacea for all taxonomies, ontologies, and other such
>> abstractions
>>     * defining the whole world, or even just boiling the ocean
>>
>> So yes, such "general purpose" or "universality" is an explicit NON-
>> goal.
>

> You can read through the archives for a few dozen explanations of  this
> perspective.

I think that "general purpose" and "universality" sacrificing simplicity
is a bad thing, but can we agree that universality *with* simplicity is
a benefit?

Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramobagnara at tin.it

Opera Unica                          Phone: +39.0546.656023
Via Emilia Interna, 140
48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy