[uf-discuss] RFC: Proposal for general purpose microformat

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Dec 2 14:49:09 PST 2005

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar wrote:

> Forgive me if I'm a little slow, but I'm unclear about i) where the
> problem is, and ii) how your version is any clearer. That use of
> 'title' and 'abbr' seems exceedingly odd.  Why can't hCalendar
> already just do:

> <h2><abbr class="role" title="opt-participant">Optional
> participants</abbr></h2>:
> <a class="attendee cn url"
> href="mailto:abramobagnara at tin.it">Abramo Bagnara</a>
> <a class="attendee cn url" href="litabanelli at racine.ra.it"> Licia
> Tabanelli </a>

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks to me like role must be within the
attendee it is describing, and Abramo is attempting to remove this
requirement by cramming XPath-style selectors into class attributes.
Defining relationships via XPath removes the need for hierarchy in
HTML.  That may or may not be a worthwhile goal, but it breaks about
a dozen microformat principles from the about page [1].  Interesting
idea, but probably not suitable for microformats.

Peace,
Scott

[1] http://microformats.org/about/