[uf-discuss] hAtom draft

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 22:04:55 PST 2005

Hello,

On 12/2/05, Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 04:02 -0500, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
> > Have at it:
> > http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom
>
> I've had a play at applying this to my weblog[1]. One question I would
> like to ask is about the author field. I currently have my name tagged
> with dc-author and foaf-name on the main page. I think the dc-author is
> non-standard in the body and used in this way. The foaf-name is
> experimental based on a generalised microformat for rdf, which of course
> is not microformat because it is too general.
>
> I see that hAtom currently recommds the use of a hcard. I could add this
> in as well, but what does a hcard mean when floating around on a web
> page? I'm also uneasy about including a <span class="vcard"></span>
> section in the document. Not all of the relevant information is in one
> place.
>
> Urrgh. I'm not quite getting this out right, but what is the most
> straightforward way to say "This page and everything in it was authored
> by Benjmain Carlyle"? :)

In HTML the <address> element can be used to specify the author of a
document.  So, you could combine an <address> element with a hCard and
do something like:

    <address class="vcard">
    </address>

Or, if you want to get more sophisticated (and more detailed and
complex), you could do something like the following:

    <address class="vcard">
    </address>

Note, that's pretty plain... you can add extra stuff -- text, tags,
etc -- in there to make it look better.  (If you don't know what I
mean, I can explain.  I'm just too tired to type one out right now :-)
)

> I don't want to add a URL. Why should I?

You don't have to.

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca