[uf-discuss] The need for a Trackback microformat?

Andreas Haugstrup solitude at solitude.dk
Sat Dec 3 13:17:41 PST 2005

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 19:23:25 +0100, Chris Messina
<chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps rel-enclosure doesn't actually make sense long term. Given
> that relEnclosure, AFAIK, was grafted onto RSS to allow for media
> being "attached" to feeds, rel-enclosure doesn't make sense in your
> regular browser-consumed webpages because we've got <embed> and
> <object>. If RSS had been able to support inline rich media, wouldn't
> those tags have sufficed?

Video/audio is problematic along with <object>. It's memory intensive -
especially on a blog with lots of blog entries. The practice right now is
an image link to the video. Something that's used more and more is a
rel="enclosure" link that is transformed to an <object> by javascript when
clicked (my preferred way of embedding video).

And rel-enclosure is not just for audio and video. Using <object> is not
always desirable - embedding zip files, photoshop files and PDF's with
additional information directly in the page is rarely a good idea (a quick
way to break the browser, I bet). they are still enclosures.

- Andreas