[uf-discuss] Ics import in Outlook

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 9 12:17:56 PST 2005

On 12/9/05 11:57 AM, "brian suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> DTSTAMP is easy, that is just the date-time stamp when the event was created.
> You could certainly encode that into your HTML.

Agreed.  Similarly hCard has the REV property.

> UID is more difficult. That is Universal ID, and within a given page you
> can be use those UIDs are unique, but over the WWW there is now way to
> gauntee its uniqueness.
>
> There seems to be a similar problem with hCard as well.
>
> To make the UID unique, it might be possible to prepend an MD5 hash of
> the URL by the transforming application, then the UID would have more
> uniqueness and avoid collisions of two events with the same UID on two
> seperate pages... but then if they are the same event they SHOULD have
> the same UID.

I am against having a transforming application automatically generate the
UID.  I think that if necessary, it should come from the content creator.

> UID was originally part of hCard, it was encoded on the 'id' attribute
> of the element with class="vcard", but was later removed.[1]
> [1] - http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-examples#3.6.7_UID_Type_Definition

I don't think that's quite accurate.  UID has not been removed.

What we've said is that:

 a) We've never seen anyone providing unique IDs (UID equivalent) for
contact information on the web.

 b) It is a bad idea to use the HTML 'id' attribute for UID since 'id' is
only unique within the document, not globally.  That's all the above-quoted
hCard-examples section says.

Note the list of hCard properties:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard#Property_List

and the hCard profile:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-profile

both contain "uid".  Thus you can do so in your hCard:

Thanks,

Tantek