[uf-discuss] How to Announce the Availability of New Media Content with uf?

Jeff Harrington jeff at parnasse.com
Mon Dec 12 05:59:36 PST 2005

I've been thinking and researching for a solution to a problem
independent artists have on the web.  Because of the loss of the MP3.COM
community, and the diaspora of OMD's online musicians have been
dispersed and now find themselve unable to easily 'announce' their new
works to other music creators and consumers.

I've proposed at my blog, htttp://beepsnort.org a use of del.iciou.us
tags to help in this process - (A Proposal for Announcing New Music
Recordings on the Nethttp://beepsnort.org/archives/000402.html) but now
I'm beginning to think that microformats might be needed in order to
additionally create a discovery phase of this announcement process.
Also, my use of the example, mp3_classical_contemporary tag, would
probably eventually lead to an over-abundance of announcements and
pseudo-announcements as the community began using it.  (Admittedly its a
hack approach but does auto-generate podcasts hehe).

Is there an implicit announcement mechanism built in already that I'm
missing?  Any research projects about how to 'announce'?  I'm looking
for practical solutions for the thousands of online musicians.

I'm thinking at the moment of tying in my del.icio.us tag announcement
with a discovery mechanism through uf's.  If I trigger the discovery by
an email list I think only spam will result.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Jeff
http://jeffharrington.org