[uf-discuss] How to Announce the Availability of New Media Content with uf?

Jeff Harrington jeff at parnasse.com
Mon Dec 12 08:05:41 PST 2005

toydi wrote:

>Hi Jeff,
>
>On 12/12/05, Jeff Harrington <jeff at parnasse.com> wrote:
>

>>I've proposed at my blog, htttp://beepsnort.org a use of del.iciou.us
>>tags to help in this process - (A Proposal for Announcing New Music
>>Recordings on the Net http://beepsnort.org/archives/000402.html)
>>

>Inspiring way to make use of delicious. ;-) About the "notes", AFAIK,
>del.iciou.us let users to add "notes" to the bookmark. In your case,
>the first bookmark creator (should be the mp3 owner) can supply
>his/her notes, and the following users' notes can be consider as
>comments.

Thanks toydi.  Does del.icio.us maintain order as other bookmarks are
created.  I guess they do...

>>Is there an implicit announcement mechanism built in already that I'm
>>missing?  Any research projects about how to 'announce'?  I'm looking
>>for practical solutions for the thousands of online musicians.
>>

>iTunes RSS Spec. [1] Any reason you need a microformat to announce the
>new songs? RSS/ATOM syndication & aggregation has created an almost
>complete ecosystem for announcement purpose.
>
>Besides "announce to discover", is it possible to use Microformat Base
>or Google Base to make submission and provide "search to discover"?
>
>[1] http://phobos.apple.com/static/iTunesRSS.html

I would probably use the XSPF format instead of the proprietary iTunes.

>>I'm thinking at the moment of tying in my del.icio.us tag announcement
>>with a discovery mechanism through uf's.
>>

>An example about the "discovery mechanism through uf's" ?

My initial idea was that the announce would provoke a secondary fetch
where graphics and album
art, album notes, etc could be appended by any site that knew how.  So
anybody subscribing to the
feed would have an implied discovery methodology for enhancements using
uf pointers.

Jeff
http://jeffharrington.org