[uf-discuss] Ics import in Outlook

David Osolkowski qidydl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:45:49 PST 2005

On 12/12/05, C. Hudley <chudley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/9/05, David Osolkowski <qidydl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The tag: URI scheme[1] provides a fairly effective way to generate
> unique
> > ID's.  I believe it is the recommended way to generate GUIDs for
> Atom[2].
> > Thus, it seems likely it could be re-used here.
> >
> > [1] http://www.taguri.org/
>
> Has the tag URI scheme been registered successfully?  I don't see an
> update on its status on that page.
>
> If not, the info URI scheme (as was mentioned here recently), with the
> "sid" namespace, could be used the same way, and it has been
> registered.
>

> http://info-uri.info/registry/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=reg&identifier=info:sid/

The tag scheme is RFC 4151: http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc4151

The sid namespace appears to be for identifying collections of information
("The sid namespace facilitates the identification of collections of
information assets. A collection of information assets could be an
organization, a website, a publisher, or a database.").  The point here is
to identify a specific event.  The tag scheme is similarly used to identify
specific entries, as opposed to collections.  I suggest that tag is a better
match than sid ("more semantic", just to tie this back to microformats).

- David Osolkowski