[uf-discuss] Show Microformat Brainstorming

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Dec 17 14:12:50 PST 2005

On 12/16/05 9:38 AM, "Charles Iliya Krempeaux" <supercanadian at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Tantek,
>
> I moved "show-brainstorming" to "show-formats" (perhaps temporarily).
> Should the info on this be perhaps merged into
> "media-metadata-examples"?  (Because I'm not completely sure it would
> be appropriate.  Again, I'm not sure "playing" stuff belongs on that
> page or not.)

Hi Charles,

I see that you have started moving things into the media-metadata-examples
page, and helping cleaning things up.

As to the question of whether shows and media are the same or not, I think
there are some broad areas of media metadata that can be separated into
(hopefully) smaller problems to be solved.

1. Media themselves images, audio, video (.png, .mp3, .mov)
2. The info about the media (author, title, length, license etc.)
3. A list of media, song playlist, showlist etc.

(1) is pretty clearly outside the domain of microformats.  Often (1) embeds
portions of (2).

(2) is I think the right thing to focus on.

(3) has some specific efforts/formats (e.g. XSPF, .m3u etc.), but I think is
a different problem than specifying the information about just one item.

2 and 3 are definitely different once you take a look at how people publish
each on the web today, and that's why we require first research and
documenting existing examples on the web, before looking at formats or
proposals (strawman or not).

I noticed you started putting in (3) into the table about (2) on the
media-metadata-examples page.  I strongly recommend creating a new
comparison table for how people represent lists of media items.

Part of the problem right now is that the media-metadata-examples page is a
mess (mostly because I think when it was started, someone confused
"examples" with "formats", or perhaps they thought it was supposed to show
examples of formats, which is not what examples means.), and needs a lot of
clean up, rearranging, and probably breaking into multiple pages for
different purposes.

This feels like something that might be better discussed on IRC.

Anyone up for this?  Perhaps some of the contributors listed on the
media-metadata-examples page?  Jump into IRC and lets figure this out.

irc:irc.freenode.net#microformats

Thanks,

Tantek