[uf-discuss] XOXO Comments

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Wed Dec 21 14:56:37 PST 2005

Hi Paul,

On Dec 21, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Paul Bryson wrote:
> http://microformats.org/wiki/xoxo
> The XOXO format doesn't seem to allow, or specify, the use of heading
> elements for multi-level outlines, such as <h2>, <h3>, etc.  Is
> there a
> reason for this?

I don't think XOXO cares about "headers" -- everything is determined
by the structure.  So, I assume <h2> et al would be part of the text
(or ignore) not part of the XOXO structure per se.

However, the very existence of headers implies that one can NOT do
trivial YAML-like serialization.  Kevin, does your parser even try to
deal with that?

> Also, none of these examples seem to use class="xoxo" in them.  Is
> this a
> required feature, or optional?

Good question.  I suspect the answer may be context-dependent.  If
you're writing a parser, you could try to grab any list, but there's
always the risk that it wouldn't keep the "xoxo" contract implied by
the class name.

-- Ernie P.