[uf-discuss] hCard Comments

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Dec 21 17:11:57 PST 2005

On Dec 21, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Paul Bryson wrote:

> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard
>
> Is the hCard format supposed to contain all classes as specified in
> the
> vCard RFC unless otherwise specified?  Or is it limited in scope to
> what has
> actually been mentioned?

For the most part, yes. Just realize that it is definitely still a
work in progress, so if there are properties which no one has needed
yet, then they probably haven't been addressed.

> Key is mentioned specifically in the spec, but there doesn't seem
> to be any
> definition indicating how exactly it should be implemented.  What
> kind of
> key to use?  Is there a link to a file or base64 encoded inline?

You might want to explain what key is and why people should care (ie,
what it would be used for).

> Is class="hcard" ever used?

no.

> The spec does not specifically address the use of handles or
> usernames, so I
> was wondering about input about this.
>
> There are a number of websites that will allow a user to have both a
> username and to enter their real name.  Many of these sites do not
> display
> the real name to normal users, or possibly in normal browsing.  It
> would
> seem to make sense to display the username in the "fn" so that you
> have:

> Now, if an admin is looking at the same profile information, it
> would be far
> easier on the backend design to have it simply add the real name
> before the
> user name like this:

> Would this be appropriate?

This is how we typically do it, but we may not have documented it
anywhere. If you could add an entry to http://microformats.org/wiki/
hcard-faq about this, it'd be great.

thanks,
ryan