[uf-discuss] hAtom draft - class="title"

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed Dec 28 05:59:47 PST 2005

Tantek,

If it's an explicit goal of the microformats.org process to come up with
a CSS name -> microformat meaning, it'd be nice explicitly recognize
this, especially with something like a dictionary.

I think it's not a bad idea, but I don't universally think it should be
done (see point #5 below).

Here's my thoughts:

(1)
The concept of the word "title" meaning the title of a document is part
of HTML. Obviously, we're doing it differently (CSS names vs. an
explicit element), but the thought is there. Is not HTML the ur-Microformat?

(2)
hcalendar:summary sort of means a title and could be potentially reused
in hAtom. However, using the word "summary" for title in the context of
webloging, atom feeds and so forth in large degree clashes with the
expected meaning in that domain and would lead to at least a little
confusion.

(3)
hcard:title reserving the meaning of the word "title" to mean the title
of a person is ... a little narrow. However, if we do want to keep a
canonical dictionary for microformats, hAtom and other standards should
probably roll with the punches.

(4)
New class names could be invented: atomtitle, atomsummary, entrytitle,
entrysummary, entry-title, entry-summary, subject, synopsis and so forth
come to mind. If the canonical dictionary is a overriding goal, choosing
something from this list may be the way to go.

If we went with just entry-title and entry-summary, users may be a
little confused by author, contributor, and so forth. If we made it
consistent by adding "entry-" in front of them, we're effectively
defining a namespace, in which case why not use "atom-" and be done with?

(5)
Having unique-name -> unique-meaning doesn't get us around the problem
of nesting. For example, if we chose the word "summary" to replace
hatom:title, we would still have the problem of nested hCalendars in
hAtom content.

Everyone's thoughts are appreciated and solicited on this matter, as the
sooner it gets resolved, the better I'll feel going around plugging hAtom.

Regards, etc...
David