[microformats-discuss] Proposing RelSource

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 11 08:31:11 PDT 2005

On 7/11/05 8:17 AM, "Andy Skelton" <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/11/05, Bud Gibson <bud at thecommunityengine.com> wrote:
>> The cite *element* is visible.  Have a look at http://
>> thecommunityengine.com/home.  The blockquote at the top uses a cite
>> element.  Put an <a> inside of that for the link.  I know that
>> technorati and other search engines pick those up.
>
> Okay, I see what you mean. That works for folks who do quote sources
> and use the cite element with an anchor and that /is/ the most
> semantically correct way to do that with existing markup. In my
> travels I have not seen people crediting sources that way.

The "people don't do it that way" argument does not apply here because
 if they don't use standard semantic XHTML now (e.g. <cite>)
 why would they use a microformat later (e.g. a new rel value) ?

> In many cases (http://scoble.weblogs.com/
> http://www.blogherald.com/2005/07/11/cubans-blogging-hurricane-dennis/)
> sources are not quoted at all but a plain link is provided. Other
> times (http://www.ioerror.us/2005/07/10/have-some-manners-will-ya/)
> the source link is included but not defined.

Yes, I agree this is typical behavior.

> RelSource would instantly tell Technorati etc. "this is not a primary
> source" and which direction leads upstream to the primary source.

Yes.

> In researching anything, the ability to identify a primary source is
> invaluable. Adding this kind of ordinality would add value to any list
> of related links such as a tag page.

Absolutely.  This is a good idea.

The cite-rel (or rel-cite or rel-via?) ideas/proposals are also similar.

Perhaps you can find Ryan and Eran on IRC and make sure both scenarios are
covered, since you have all thought about the same or heavily overlapping
problems.

Thanks,

Tantek